As I mentioned in my post, yesterday, I used to be a vegan a few years back. Cheese is my most favorite food so it was hard to do, until I found nutritional yeast. If you don’t know what it is then just check out my post What is Nutritional Yeast?
Doesn’t this Cheezy Rice and Broccoli Casserole look yummy? Funny thing is that it doesn’t have cheese or rice in it. Personally, I choose not to eat rice that often because of my Type II Diabetes and low carb diet but I used to eat rice all the time. This recipe is great both ways, so feel free to experiement. If you need assistance with the faux rice then just head on over to the Cauliflower Rice page.
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp umeboshi vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place all ingredients in a 4 quart casserole dish and mix until well combined.
- Cover and bake 50-60 minutes or until rice is done.
The recipe above is for the rice preparation. If making with cauliflower rice then just decrease the soymilk to 1 cup and increase the riced cauliflower to 2 cups. If you don't have umeboshi vinegar then feel free to use any type of vinegar or salt, if desired.
Here are some other great recipes for nutritional yeast from Lesaffre.