Happy National Applesauce Cake Day! Can you believe it, two cakes in the same week on this site! It’s like cake week around here … You know, just like shark week except with cake.
This simple cake is very moist and packed full of apple and cinnamon flavors. It is easy and fairly healthy as far as desserts go. Dear hubby says he likes it but he keeps going back to the light gingerbread cake that’s still on the kitchen counter. I bet if I put the gingerbread in the freezer for later, he’ll go to town on this one because I even made some cream cheese frosting … yum :-)
Still waiting for my replacement lights to arrive so please excuse the pics :-)
- 1 cup whey low granular (sugar replacer)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening with an electric beater on low speed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; beat until well mixed. Add applesauce and vanilla; mix well then stir in the walnuts and pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- For a fancier treat, drizzle with a glaze that's made by mixing 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and 1 to 2 teaspoons water.
Adapted from Mr Food at http://www.mrfood.com/Cakes/Amish-Applesauce-Cake#