Happy National Cake Day!
Normally on Mondays I write a weekly Monday Muster post which refers to the past week and what’s been going on in my world. In all honesty, with today being National Cake Day, I am not in the mood to blab on about myself or my recovery … I just have to share this Wacky Cake recipe that has completely mesmerized the hubs and I.
The origins of this simple, famous, fascinating cake has been debated by many. Some say it came out of the Great Depression & others have said it was created during wartime when rationing of eggs and dairy was necessary.
Truly, I don’t really care where it came from, I’m just glad that someone created it because it’s fabulous! It really reminds me of a snack cake because you can put this together in minutes and the taste does not disappoint.
I adapted this recipe from the 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal Barnard, MD. The original recipe uses regular granulated sugar and does not include chocolate chips on top. I swapped out the sugar for a lower carb sugar substitute & added the chips to appease the hubby :-)
The cake, itself, is vegan but the addition of the chocolate chips is not. I prefer vegan, dark chocolate and the hubs does not. He likes the plain old semi-sweet, nestle stuff so we walk a tightrope in our house … I split them half and half so we can both enjoy.
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cups Whey Low Granulated (sugar substitute)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 tsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking soda & cocoa) in a bowl.
- In second bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (vanilla, applesauce, vinegar & water).
- Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Pour into a nonstick, 9x9 pan or a pan that has been lightly oiled.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips lightly over the cake batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal Barnard, MD - http://pcrm.org/shop/byNealBarnard/21-day-weight-loss-kickstart
This cake is surprisingly good & healthy (for a dessert) so I hope you give it a go!
The Vegan Experiment & Type II Diabetes
Today’s Fasting Blood Glucose was 83
My goal is < 100