Happy National Candy Cane Day!
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays … I hope everyone’s enjoying their time with family, friends & food. I know the hubs and I are having a great time enjoying all the holiday fare that we normally don’t have throughout the year. During the holidays, we’re not low carb, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free or anything really … We just eat whatever strikes our fancy; knowing that at the beginning of the year, it’s back to regular life.
I have been in the kitchen baking like a mad man and the house is running over with food, so for the rest of December I’ll be sharing a few of my kitchen adventures with you. Mind you, they’re not really healthy or good for you … just good :-)
Also, for the last few weeks, I’ve had tons of technical issues and I’m barely back up to speed so please forgive me for the quality of these food pics. I’d rather show you pics that I’m not proud of then not share all the goodies with you.
With today being National Candy Cane Day, I just had to share this recipe that I recently discovered. Now that I think about it, this recipe is vegan and I did modify it a little to lower the carbs; although, I still wouldn’t call these healthy. I’m not huge on candy canes but these turned out great & not overwhelmingly pepperminty, like I thought they would be. These will probably go into my standard holiday rotation for gifts.
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance (non-hydrogenated, vegan butter substitute)
- 3/4 cup Whey Low Granular (lower carb sugar substitute)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. flax seeds + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup crushed candy cane pieces (I used sugar free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together flax seeds and water ... Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In stand mixer, cream together earth balance and sugar.
- Add flax egg and vanilla.
- Turn mixer down to low speed and add flour mixture slowly.
- Stir in candy cane pieces by hand.
- Drop by Tbsp onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Adapted from recipe from Made Just Right by Earth Balance (http://madejustright.com/recipes/view/2436375/candy-cane-sugar-cookies)
These were adapted from a recipe located at the Made Just Right by Earth Balance community site.
As a bonus, I thought I’d throw in a quick peek at the food we had here for our Christmas celebration …
Happy Holidays to you & yours!