Although, it’s National Fruit Cake Day, I don’t have fruit cake for you but I decided to at least give you something with fruit … Yummy Austrian Linzer Bars with raspberries.
Linzer Bars & cookies are an Americanized version of the famous Linzer Torte which is a holiday classic in Austria. These bars are made with the same components … crumbly pastry dough, jam, nuts … and are typically served around the holidays all over the world. I believe currants are used in the torte but something about raspberries just screams the holidays to me.
Around the holidays, I typically don’t worry about vegetarian, low carb, vegan, diabetes friendly, etc. I just focus on good tasting, not good for you. These are so rich & decadent that I can’t imagine having these any other time of the year, anyway, so go big or go home :-)
This recipe was adapted from Celebrating Cookies by Leisure Arts (Austrian Linzer Bars, page 125) and they are fabulous!
- 1 cup earth balance, room temp (vegan butter substitute)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Whey Low Granulated (lower carb sugar substitute)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 cup almond flour
- 12 oz jar raspberry preserves (fruit only - no added sugar)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- In stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add egg yolks, lemon zest, vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder,spices).
- Add to creamed sugar mixture and mix until soft, smooth dough forms.
- Add almond flour and mix.
- Press dough into prepared 9x13 pan (greased or parchment paper).
- Spread raspberry preserves over dough.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds over preserves
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
This recipe was adapted from Celebrating Cookies by Leisure Arts (Austrian Linzer Bars, page 125).
Happy Holidays to you & yours!