Not Tuna Salad is a mock tuna salad, made with garbanzo beans, that I’ve been making for years. Obviously, it won’t taste like tuna but I think you’ll be surprised at how nicely it imitates the ubiquitous dish that we all know and love. The texture and color is so similar that sometimes I forget that I’m NOT eating tuna salad … hence the name.
This is a dish that’s great to have in the fridge, ready to go, whenever hunger strikes. It’s also pretty handy to take to work for a healthy, nutritious lunch on the job. Personally, I prefer to eat this with crackers or straight out of the bowl with a fork but the hubs loves a great sandwich that he can sink his teeth into. We love to use this lower glycemic rye bread that we make at home.
This recipe is so easy to make that we have it all the time. It’s one of the few dishes that we actually prefer canned chickpeas instead of dried/soaked garbanzo beans.
First thing you want to do is press the water out of your tofu for a great egg substitute. This EZ Tofu Press makes easy work out of this step and we’re giving one away at the end of the post so stay tuned :-)
After your tofu has the water pressed out then dice into small pieces.
Add your diced tofu to your mashed chickpeas (that have been drained and rinsed).
Add all other ingredients and combine.
- 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 2/3 cup tofu, extra firm, pressed & diced
- 1/8 cup onions, diced
- 1/8 cup carrots, grated
- 1/8 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup pickles, diced
- 1/4 cup mayo (I use vegan)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp pickle juice
- 1 tsp Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning
- Press the tofu to extract the water (I let mine sit about 20 minutes).
- While the tofu is pressing, drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Prep & chop all the other veggies.
- Dice the extra firm tofu.
- Combine all ingredients and stir.
- Serve with crackers, as a sandwich or straight from the bowl with a fork.
Interested in knowing more about the EZ Tofu Press?
I have been wanting a tofu press for years but just couldn’t bring myself to purchasing one because they just looked so complicated. Not to mention, the one’s I had seen were spring loaded and I could not even imagine how I was going to clean or store so I just never made the plunge. I was spending all my time pressing my tofu with plates and heavy objects and always making a mess. That was then but this is now. The EZ Press is fabulous …
Check out these great features:
- Can be used with any size tofu brick, both small and large portions can be dried.
- Provides better flavor absorption and texture and thus better tasting tofu.
- No springs to replace, simply tension as needed
- Better control of the time in which your tofu is press dried. Takes 5-15 minutes.
- Less costly than other brands, best value on the market.
- Easy to clean, place in the top rack of the dishwasher or just use hot soapy water.
- Makes Tofu cooking quick and easy.
- Press plates cut with automated CNC milling machine.
- Comes with handy measurement tool and Instruction manual.
- Made in the USA.
EZ Tofu Press is made of USDA approved HDPE, a BPA Free Plastic. All bolts, nuts, and washers are made of stainless steel. The EZ Tofu Press is dishwasher safe, top rack. Do not use in freezer or microwave. Use Firm and Extra Firm Tofu. Not for silken tofu varieties. For easy instructions and information, check out their video on YouTube or view this handy PDF document.
NOTE – I was provided with an EZ Tofu Press for review; however, comments are my own and there was no requirement for me to write a review or make positive comments about the product. I only post reviews for items that I genuinely like and use.
Want to win your own EZ Tofu Press?
Leave a comment about your favorite tofu or vegetarian dish.
NUMBER OF ENTRIES:
Required entry comment above can be left daily.
- Like Food Stories on Facebook.*
- Follow @FoodStoriesBlog on Twitter.*
- Follow FoodStoriesBlog on Pinterest.*
- Pin this giveaway to pinterest.
- Subscribe to Food Stories Monthly Newsletter.
- Like EZ Tofu Press on Facebook.*
- Follow @BenzelBen on Twitter.*
- Tweet this giveaway by using the following … Enter to #win EZ Tofu Press from @FoodStoriesBlog @BenzelBen – http://wp.me/p2kH1i-5gG
- Tweets can be counted once per day, just like the required comments.
*If you already follow Food Stories or EZ Tofu Press on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest then please note that in your comments. Also, remember to leave a SEPARATE COMMENT for each entry you complete. If all entries are left in a single comment then this will only count as ONE entry.
And now for the fine print …
Only those over the age of 18, residing in the USA are eligible to enter. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. By leaving a comment below you are agreeing to the Official Rules, outlined here.
- Duration: Wednesday January 9th through Wednesday January 16th, 2012 at midnight, Pacific Standard Time.
- Leave a comment regarding your favorite tofu or vegetarian dish to enter. You can receive additional entries by following the instructions above.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- Winner(s) will be selected by random number generator within 72 hours of the sweepstakes closing. Winners have 72 hours to respond to their notification email to claim their prize. If they do not respond, another winner will be chosen by random number generator. All prizes will be awarded.
- We are not liable for technical failures or typographical errors, or resolving identity disputes related to the winner.
- We will obtain winners’ name and shipping address in the notification email. Once prize(s) have been sent, we will maintain that information but will not use it for any other purpose.
- This sweepstakes is sponsored by Food Stories LLC, 340 S Lemon Ave #2822, Walnut CA 91789 and EZ Tofu Press.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
- Prize description: One EZ Tofu Press with shipping included.