Today, I wanted to share another vegan dessert that I recently tried and loved. This cake is so moist and sweet that the hubs even liked it, too. In fact, I didn’t even tell him that this could be good for him because it might have tainted his opinion. Honestly, I don’t know if I would call any dessert healthy but if I did then this one would definitely fit in that category and I feel no guilt whatsoever when serving this cake.
We enjoyed this cake so much that I’ve already made it several times and it gets the big thumbs up each time. Sometimes I omit the nuts and sometimes I don’t, just depends on our mood.
When baking for a family of two, it can sometimes be daunting to find recipes that are scaled to a smaller size but his cake is just right for the two of us to have for a couple of days. It probably freezes well but we’ve never had any left to store away because we can’t stop nibbling.
If you’re looking for a guilt free dessert then this is definitely one to try. Moist and sweet with just a hint of citrus.
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup Whey Low Gold (brown sugar substitute)
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped (about 18)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together applesauce, lemon juice, water & orange zest in a small saucepan and heat on medium low heat while preparing the other ingredients.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, & allspice) in a medium bowl.
- Add the baking soda to the warm applesauce mixture and whisk (don't be alarmed if it foams up).
- Pour into the flour mixture & stir only enough to just combine.
- Add chopped dates/walnuts and stir only enough to combine.
- Pour into greased 9x9 baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes & then reduce the heat to 325 degrees F. Bake for another 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Makes 9 servings.
Recipe adapted from Dr. Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes.