Tetley’s National Iced Tea Month survey found some fun facts about the who, when, where and what of the popular summer drink such as:
- 63.7% said the best iced or sweet tea comes from the southern region of the USA.
- The northeast made up the highest number of tea consumers with PA having the highest number of iced tea drinkers.
- Brunettes made up 52% of the survey’s iced tea lovers with blondes coming in 2nd (21.7%) and redheads 3rd (8.7%).
- More than half have developed their own iced tea recipe rather than using one from other sources.
- The basis for these recipes, freshly brewed iced or sweet tea, typically begins with boiling water in a pot (72.5%) rather than the slower method of brewing tea in a jar in the sun (20%).
- Fresh lemon is the most commonly used flavor enhancer (77.2%) with sugar being the top choice for sweetener (49.8%). Other fun flavor enhancers include fresh mint (9.2%), lime (4.2%) & orange (3.7%).
- One other surprising find is that the Tea Party does not have the highest number of iced tea drinkers. In fact, Democrats (29.8%) edged out Republicans (25.7%) in the vote of who drinks more iced tea.
Tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world next to water, and can be found in almost all U.S. households. It is the only beverage commonly served hot or iced, anytime, anywhere, for any occasion. On any given day, over 160 million Americans are drinking tea. (Tea Association of the USA)