Looking for a nutritious, easy recipe for the dog days of summer? This is definitely the one as it is chock full of protein, fiber & taste. Although, I used dry beans and soaked them overnight, you could use canned beans and put this dish together in minutes.
I found this recipe on the PCRM Cancer Project site, years ago, and have made this too many times to count. Being that I’ve recently been in a hotel (for my job), this recipe was just what the doctor ordered. I was able to put it together without a lot of fuss and I was able to have leftovers for days … big bonus when working long hours!
- 1 1/2 cups kidney beans, soaked overnight & cooked
- 1 1/2 cups pinto beans, soaked overnight & cooked
- 1 1/2 cups black-eyed peas, soaked overnight & cooked
- 1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tsp sea salt, freshly ground
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and serve at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from The Cancer Project.
The modifications that I made to the original recipe were only slight so the original nutritional stats are probably fairly accurate …
Per serving (1/10 of recipe):
3 g Fat
0.5 g Saturated Fat
14.6% Calories From Fat
0 mg Cholesterol
9.9 g Protein
31 g Carbohydrate
2.9 g Sugar
8 g Fiber
539 mg Sodium
43 mg Calcium
2.7 mg Iron
36.7 mg Vitamin C
311 mcg Beta-Carotene
0.8 mg Vitamin E