Many people eat sugary cereals and drinks like white bread, sodas, granola, energy drinks, granola bar, and sodas daily.
These items are convenient and tasty but can harm your health when consumed regularly.
Many of these products can be easily substituted with healthier alternatives.
Creamer is a sweetener that gives coffee a smooth taste. It has many delicious flavors, such as peppermint, pumpkin spice, and mocha.
But it is usually packed with sugar. This can be in the form of high fructose corn syrup, a sweetener linked to several adverse health effects, including an increased risk of obesity ( 1Trusted Source).
Many coffee creamers have artificial colors, preservatives, and thickeners such as carrageenan. ( 2Trusted Source).
Substitutes can be made in a surprisingly short time.
This simple but delicious recipe is a great dairy-free creamer substitute with few ingredients and little added sugar.
- One 400-ml (13.5-ounce) can of coconut milk with reduced or whole fat
- Add one tablespoon (15ml) of Maple Syrup to your taste
- One teaspoon (5ml) of vanilla extract
Place the ingredients into a glass mason jar or bottle and shake it well. Store in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze the ice cubes in trays.
Add a dash or two of coconut extract or cinnamon to your pumpkin puree for a unique twist.
Years of scientific research have confirmed the adverse health effects of soda and other sugary drinks.
For instance, soda consumption is linked to an increased risk of diabetes and obesity. It also increases the likelihood of fatty liver and metabolic syndrome, which includes high blood pressure, elevated blood sugar, and fatty liver ( 3Trusted Source).
While many believe switching to diet soda will help them lose weight, it can also increase their risk of developing conditions such as metabolic syndrome or stroke ( Source).
Try these alternatives to soda if you regularly drink it:
- She infused sparkling waters. Add slices of your favorite fruit to a bottle of sparkling water for an infused, healthy soda alternative.
- This recipe will make you your sparkling green tea.
- Kombucha. If you want a subtle sweetness and the health benefits of probiotics with your kombucha, try Brew Dr.’s Clear Mind or Ginger Turmeric flavors. Each 14-ounce (415 ml) serving contains only 10 grams of sugar.
Plain water is the best option for staying hydrated during the day.
Cereal is often a breakfast staple for many people. Although some cereals are healthier than others, they tend to have a lot of sugar and fewer macronutrients, such as protein and fiber.
Sugary cereals that are marketed towards children often contain high-fructose oat syrup and artificial food colors like Red 40, which can cause behavioral problems in children who are sensitive ( 5Trusted Source; 6TrustedSource).
Choose one of these high-protein, high-fiber breakfasts as an alternative.
- Use oatmeal. It’s a healthy cereal alternative. Add berries, nuts, and unsweetened coconut to your oatmeal.
- This a delicious and high-protein recipe for chia pudding.
- A yogurt parfait. Layer plain Greek yogurt, either whole or 2%, with fresh berries and unsweetened almonds to make a delicious breakfast.
Granola bar is a popular snack for many. However, the most popular granola bar contains added sugars, as well as other sweet ingredients such as chocolate chips and candy coatings.
There are still several healthy brands that offer a variety of options. Thunderbird RX, Purely Elizabeth, and Autumn’s Gold Granola Bars, for example, use whole food and provide a lot of fiber and protein.
This recipe is low in sugar and contains healthy ingredients such as nuts, oats and seeds, dried fruit, and coconut.
Energy drinks are a popular choice for people who want a boost of energy to get them through the day.
These beverages can cause kidney damage and rapid heartbeat if consumed excessively.
Many unsweetened caffeinated drinks can be substituted for energy beverages. They will give you a boost without any unwanted side effects.
Examples include black tea, green tea, oolong, yerba mat, and coffee.
They may also offer other benefits. Green tea, for example, is rich in antioxidants which may help improve heart health and lower blood sugar.
You can make lifestyle changes to stay alert and focused. These include getting more sleep, eating healthy food, and decreasing stress. By doing this, you will not need stimulants.